Thursday, September 13, 2012

An Average Week in Homeschooling

by Cyndi D. - Homeschool Mom of 3 (grades K, 3, and 6)

homeschool fieldtrip
Homeschool field trip. Photo by Bill Townsend Photography
My average week in homeschooling is anything but average!  Every week brings new topics, new challenges, and new understanding.

We use virtual school (K12 curriculum through Arizona Virtual Academy), so my week as the parent / teacher / learning coach starts on Sunday afternoon.

I spend about 60 minutes per child reviewing this week's lessons, assignments, and pulling (or creating) materials needed for the entire week.  I also look over the teacher-led internet classes and office hours for the week and decide if she needs to attend any of them.   I am especially looking for things that she will definitely need my help with, and things she should do independently.

Subjects that I monitor carefully include:
  • Science (labs, interesting topics)
  • History (for writing assignments, content)
  • Math (topics that may be difficult or confusing)
  • Grammar (topics that may be difficult or confusing)
  • Composition (project and pacing).   
Spelling, Vocabulary, Art, Foreign Language are generally independent subjects that don't require my input.  I note on the schedule if I think a subject requires me to teach it first, otherwise, I let my middle schooler take a crack at it and come to me if she runs into trouble. 

For my middle-school child, I then spend about 15-20 minutes with her to discuss the upcoming week and what I expect her to complete by the end of the week.  (Note: She is extremely self-directed!  However, for a child who is not, you may want to write a daily schedule.)   I do use the "Progress" feature though to keep us on-track.  I like to see about 10% progress per month (we do school for 10 months from August 1st through May 31st.)  

Our schedule includes subjects and lessons for the entire week, and also notes social activities (Cub Scouts, family events), religious education, doctor appointments, chores, everything for one week.  For my middle-school student I let her choose how to organize her week (unless I specifically assign a day to something.) 

Daily

Each morning, I check in with the middle-schooler first.  I make sure she has a plan for her day and she is on track with today's activities, work, and make her aware of any foreseeable problems that may erupt (eg if my other kids have a teacher conference she may need to watch the baby, etc.). 

Mid-morning

I grade any assessments she has completed, and check if she needs help with anything.  I also schedule time for instruction if she needs it, for example "See me about 11:30 for Composition Review."  She gets 45 minutes for exercise break, then back to work.

Lunch

Lunch is the time to closely review the schedule and note if my middle-schooler is behind where I think she should be.  I grade assessments, and check if she needs help and schedule a block of afternoon time for her.  See gets 90 minutes for lunch and recess.

Afternoon

About 3:00 pm I start checking for attendance, tracking for day and week, and checking assessments for the end of the day.  I make a note of any problem areas and begin with those first on the next day.  We usually close the day about 3:30-4:00 pm.

Best of all - NO HOMEWORK! 


No comments:

Post a Comment